BBC News | Middle East | World Edition

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Final assignment for Week 1

I have been following the debate on this question and I have found a lot of arguments convincing. My own views are that we as the writers of these blogs  and decide how much to share and what opinions to give depending on the tone of our blog. Perhaps as in life we should use more digression with our opinions depending on the topic. If you have a food blog and didn't include strong opinions on the foods you were eat, let's say I can honestly say that I would stop reading it.

While many have noted we should be careful sharing more information the simple Name, Location, Education, etc. I think a strong case can be made for even further disclosure in some instances. I think that some of the most successful bloggers have been far more open about themselves and there lives. Take the case of Megan McCardale of Atlantic Monthly. She is one of the more famous economics and finance bloggers in the U.S,  who started out blogging anonymously and then grew comfortable enough with the medium to start blogging more openly to the extent that she even announced her engagement on her blog.

Again though I'd like to return to the question of opinion. Don't be too afraid to show your opinion in your blog. Blogs were invented in the first place for people to share opinions! In fact we live in a world were information is (no offense) cheap. I can (and do) go online all the time to learn about the politics and affairs of many countries around the globe. However, finding informed comment is something more rare. I think the future of opinion of journalism is to some extent...opinion journalism. We will be counted on to give informed opinions on a variety of topics.

In these instances I believe the general public would much rather prefer someone who openly stated their biases than trying to mask these on their blogs.

Just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment